Do you want a reasonable solar battery for your home or business? If yes, the available options in the market could be confusing for new solar consumers. Fortunately, solar technology has evolved greatly, and lithium-ion power backups are one of the modular ways to store solar power. However, there is no universal mechanism to select the best solar battery, and solar users might opt for under-power backups that may result in less optimal solar system performance. To make your decision easy, we have sorted the five best solar batteries in Australia. So, let’s get started!
What Are The 2 Reasons for Wrong Solar Battery Selection?
Solar consumers make two mistakes while selecting solar batteries:
Undersize Solar Battery
These power backups do not meet the users’ power demands and can cause:
- Low power storage.
- Decreased energy independence.
- Lower cost savings.
- Improved conventional grid dependence.
- Solar battery wear and tear.
- Limited backup energy during outages.
- So, assure apt battery size as per your needs to avoid these issues.
Oversize Solar Battery
On the other hand, bigger-sized solar batteries also fail to store adequate energy for charging, more commonly during winter, and can result in:
- Raised initial cost.
- Decreased efficiency.
- More extended payback period.
- Bigger space requirements.
- Potential environmental impact.
Solar users can avoid this issue by:
- Selecting the correct solar array size.
- Select apt system connection: on-grid or off-grid.
- Evaluating daily power consumption (kWh).
Types of Lithium-ion Batteries
We understand that it could be challenging for new solar users to select the apt power backup at an affordable cost. The good news is that lithium-ion solar batteries are the best options with specific features. However, most of these solar batteries are compatible with distinct inverters. For instance, high-voltage solar batteries coupled with suitable HV hybrid inverters.
So, before investing in solar batteries, consider the subsequent criteria:
- Usable Storage Capacity
- Cycle Life
- Operating Temperature
With the above reference, here are our top 5 picks for the best solar battery storage in Australia under $10,000.
1. Sungrow SBP4K8
The Sungrow SBP4K8 puffs a compact design and is a re-packaged variant of the Samsung SDI. The SCI module by Sungrow utilizes a high-performance prismatic cell with a Lithium NMC design, offering 6000 cycles or a 15-year lifespan.
- Lithium NMC Cell Design, DC Battery Type
- 4kW Maximum Peak Power Output, 2.5kW Continuous
- 8kWh Size (95 percent Usage Capacity)
- 6000 Cycles Cycle Life
- 10-Year Warranty
- Approximately $4000 Pricing
- Includes off-grid power storage capability
- Equipped with a Battery Management System (BMS) for surge protection
- Limited compatibility, only works with Sungrow hybrid inverters
2. BYD Premium
BYD are Chinese manufacturers, known for best quality solar power products and electric devices. The company offers a wide variety of solar lithium-ion batteries with Ferro Phosphate storage cells.
- DC battery type
- HVS-2.5kW/module; HVM-2kW/module
- HVM- 2.76kWh (100 percent usage) (Expandable up to 38.4kWh)
- HVS- 2.56kWh (100 percent usage) (Expandable up to 66.2kWh)
- 3000 cycles Cycle Life
- 10-year Warranty
- HVM-$870/kWh; HVS-$935/kWh
- Can be connected in series to expand systems’ voltage capacity
- High capacity of up to 20kW
- Not suitable for outdoor exposure
3. LG Chem RESU10
LG Chem RESU10 offers a higher voltage choice and is relatively costly but still competitive in the market. It’s worth noting that this battery is compatible with the majority of popular hybrid inverters.
- DC Battery Type
- 7kW peak output; 5kW continuous
- 8kWh (90 percent usage capacity) (expandable to 19.6kWh)
- 4000 cycles maximum Cycle Life
- 10-year Warranty
- 48V-$6,400; 400V-$7,200
- Extended backup power during outages and nighttime
- Features a DC-coupled design for improved integration and efficiency
- Less suitable for fully off-grid solar systems
4. PowerPlus Energy Life Premium
The PowerPlus Energy Life Premium is a self-managed lithium-ion battery system known for its reliable communication performance. It seamlessly integrates with all leading inverters and offers an off-grid multiple-mode design. This battery serves as a replacement for lead-acid battery banks. Notably, the modules within the battery can be replaced or hot-swapped without the need to shut down the system. However, it’s important to note that some self-managed batteries may face challenges in low-temperature or low-charge conditions.
- Lithium LFP cell; Self-Managed DC Battery Type
- Power Output: 3.3kW Maximum Peak, 3kW continuous
- Size: 3.3kWh (100 percent usage capacity)
- Cycle Life: 3000-5000 cycles
- 10-year Warranty
- Approximately $3,500 Price
- Operates at a voltage level similar to lead-acid batteries
- Engineered for high-temperature tolerance
- Intended for indoor use only
We hope our guide will assist new solar users in selecting the best solar battery in Australia for their solar PV systems. At Ultimate Solar Energy, we make your decision-making process so simple. We design customized solutions based on your requirements, using only the most premium products.
Get a Free Quote now!